Monday, May 13, 2013

Barbecue Chicken Salad

How was your Mother's Day weekend?  I hope it was as good as mine was.  The best part was that all my family was here and we had some time together.  We ate, talked and laughed together and that was the best gift I could have asked for!  It has become harder to get together as my children get lives of their own so when those rare times come I have to really appreciate them!
That recipe will be coming soon! Now for the Recipe of the Day!!!  



     This is such a super summer salad recipe, I thought I would share it early so you could have for the whole season.  It can be a meal of course because of the chicken it has in it, or a side dish but however you have it one thing is for sure, you will want more!  This is how it is done...

     First you will want to prepare 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast.  I weighed mine after cooking and they weighed 1 lb. , So they should be quite large especially if this is the main course. You may want to pound them down to about 3/4 inch with a meat mallet so they will cook evenly and quicker. 

    I like to prepare mine by marinating them in a Chef Mates marinade package mix (available at most supermarkets) for 15 minutes to a few hours.  Do this with your favorite Barbecue or Hickory flavor.  The one I have usually used isn't sold anymore but I saw a couple at the store this week that have a hickory flavor to them. Any that give it a barbecue flavor will be fine.   

     After marinating, I broil them in the oven for about 6-7 min. per side.   Be careful not to overcook because they will be dry and tough! 

 I test them to see if they are 145 degrees and cut them to make sure the juices are clear.  Let them cool and then slice in 1 inch x 1/4 inch pieces.  Set them aside or in the fridge if using at a later time. 







Next, rip both lettuces into a large bowl, chop tomatoes, and drain beans and corn. Add all into the bow
l.



Chop a bunch of cilantro and add to the lettuce in the bowl.










It is easier to chop the cilantro if you bend it in half and hold it while chopping from the rounded end first.
              Mix cilantro into the lettuce mixture until well combined. 

     In a small bowl, mix the Ranch dressing and barbecue sauce.  You can serve it in a salad dressing bottle so it is easy to control the amount that goes on.  It is an amazing flavor so I usually double the sauce! 


 Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce is great because it is mild and sweet.  Then I add 2 or 3 Tablespoons of a more bold sauce to give it some kick!  I make my own Hidden Valley Ranch (with a mix and milk and mayo).
      Serve and enjoy!  If you make this and love it please leave a comment!  I would love hearing from you!  
     This recipe is slightly adapted from a recipe on All Recipes here.  This was also shared on these blogs: Mandy's Recipe BoxMake ahead meals for busy moms,
A pinch of Joy


Barbecue Chicken Salad

 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, marinated, cooked, and sliced.
1 head red leaf lettuce,
1 head green leaf lettuce
2 fresh med. tomatoes, chopped
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 15 oz. can whole kernel corn, drained
1 15 oz. can black beans, drained

Dressing

 2/3 cup Ranch Dressing
1/3 cup barbecue Sauce

In a large bowl, mix the 2 leaf lettuces, tomato, cilantro,corn, and black beans.
Top with grilled chicken slices.
In a small bowl, mix Ranch dressing an barbecue sauce.  Serve with the salad.
Serves 8-12


2 comments:

  1. I love this salad! I've also used pulled pork as the meat, and that worked great as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds great! I will have to try it. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from you. Please feel free to ask questions or let me know what you liked. If you like the blog I would love to have you follow using the buttons above! Thanks for your visit!