Friday, July 5, 2013

Soft and Delicious Homemade Flour Tortillas - Part 3



 Soft and Delicious Flour Tortillas

(Part 3 of Sweet Chicken Tortilla Salad)
I forgot to take the picture.  The one with the tortilla folded over and looking pliable and soft... But these tortillas can do that- really- I just forgot to take the picture.  I think I was in a hurry to get dinner on the table and topped them too quickly but I hope this pic shows how really wonderful they are.  Here is a picture of them in a meal. 




See? Soft, delicious.
You won't want to go back to store bought after trying these.  If it seems like it is time consuming then the best thing to do is make them up when you do have time and freeze them in batches of how many you use.  They come out of the freezer great. ( I take them out of the plastic bag one at a time still frozen and let them sit at room temperature for a little while to thaw so they don't stick together).

I searched through a bunch of recipes and found that they are quite a bit the same.  The things that vary are the amount of shortening, use of baking powder, dough resting time,  and water temperature.  I took them all and put together one that I like best and here it is!

Flour Tortillas

 2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 Tablespoons shortening
1/2 to 3/4 cup very hot water

Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl.  Add 1/2 cup hot water and stir. (I do use tap water but Hot is important). Keep adding small amounts of water until the dough comes together smoothly.  (Too much will make it sticky).
Now, cover the bowl with a slightly wet cloth and let it rest for 15 minutes.  Divide dough into 5 or 7 pieces.  It will make 5 large ones or 7 medium.  I usually at least double this recipe to make some to freeze.  Roll each dough piece into a ball and then using a little flour on your surface, begin to roll out. Push rolling pin in a different direction each time to help them stay round.  Roll very thin (see pic).  Heat skillet to a little above medium (one mark).  Fry tortillas in the ungreased pan until bubbles form.  Turn and cook other side until light brown spots appear.  


Enjoy!This recipe was shared on these wonderful sites!
The Recipe Critic
somewhatsimple
Made in a Day
lil luna
The Country Cook
kitchen fun with my 3 sons  
Mommifried 

2 comments:

  1. Great post! Stopping by from the Family Dinner link party! Would love to have you also link this up at the Ladies Only Blog Share link party! Our theme this week is Red, White & BBQ. :)

    http://mommifried.com/ladies-only-blog-share-link-party-red-white-bbq/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Crystal! It was fun to post at your party!

      Delete

I really enjoy hearing from you. Please feel free to ask questions or let me know what you liked. If you like the blog I would love to have you follow using the buttons above! Thanks for your visit!