Monday, November 4, 2013

Deep Fried Halibut

deep fried halibut
      As a child I remember my parents going to a wonderful fresh fish restaurant to buy the freshest, most delicious fillet of halibut available in our western city.  The restaurant was called Bratten's  and it isn't around anymore but I still love to buy halibut and deep fry it the way Mom and Dad did years ago.

    Halibut isn't cheap and it is good to wait until it is in season.  I think that time is in the spring.  My local market had some on sale a couple of weeks ago and I jumped at the chance to buy some.  One thing to remember is that it doesn't take as much to make a good size serving as you might think.  Because the fillets are cut into a lot of pieces, one pound of fish made a very good size dinner for 3 adults.  

     Here is the recipe, if you like a sweeter batter you can play around the sugar proportion but this is a delicious batter as it is.

Halibut Fish Batter
 
1 cup flour
1 egg
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons baking powder

     Mix all ingredients together with a wisk in a bowl until smooth.

Cut fish into desired size.  I like mine about 1 inch x 2 inches.  It is easier and faster to cook if they aren't thick.  You can cut them in larger pieces but make sure they are cooked all the way through.  Keep size uniform so you can time and check the first few to make sure the meat is flakey all the way to the center.  Then use the same time for the same size pieces. 
cooking halibut
 Dip pieces in batter and fry in oil at 400 degrees until center is done.

deep fried halibut

fried fish


     These are very good dipped in lemon butter sauce.  Melt 1/2 cup butter in a small pan and add about 3 Tablespoons lemon juice.  Serve in small individual bowl for dipping.  

     These are not low in calories and we don't make them often but they are so delicious you will dream about them!

This recipe was shared on these sites.

4 comments:

  1. This looks so good, makes me really miss Boston! Thanks for sharing at Talking Tuesday.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been there but I would love to taste theirs.

      Delete
  2. Thank you SOOO much for linking up on my Bloglovin' Blog Hop tonight! Was following via Bloglovin, now also following via GFC.

    Take care,
    Meg
    Happy Kids, Inc

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from you. Please feel free to ask questions or let me know what you liked. If you like the blog I would love to have you follow using the buttons above! Thanks for your visit!