Monday, February 17, 2014

Easter Egg Wreath DIY

These Easter Wreaths are so fun to make!  I know this is a food blog but after making these I just had to share them with you!  I found the instructions here on Cindis.blogspot.com a couple of years ago on pinterest.  Here is how to make them!


First, gather supplies.  I bought plastic Easter eggs at Walmart in the 10 per bag sacks.  They weren't very expensive.  I knew I was going to make these wreaths so I bought up all the close out eggs the year before for about .25 a bag.  I like the iridescent kind the best.  I also bought a package of 12" cake circles at Michael's (a local craft store) with a coupon.  It made making the back very easy.  So here is a list of what you need:


12" cardboard circle (not lightweight, if that is what you have glue two together)
hot glue and hot glue gun
about 50 medium plastic Easter Eggs
1 1/2 inch wired ribbon and Easter grass to match
Wire for hanger (medium weight floral stems work well)
Scissors
Wire Cutters for the floral wire
round plate to measure the center ring
pencil to trace the ring

To begin your wreath you need to take out one of the cake circles and cut out the center.  I placed a plate in the center and traced around it.  I left about 1 3/4 inch around the outside.

Next add a few inches of hot glue in a zig zag pattern across the width of the cardboard.  Only cover about 4 inches at a time or the glue will cool before you can add enough eggs to cover it.  The eggs should lay down on the board with the inside row pointing to the center and the outside row pointing outward.

Put down about 3 eggs at a time making sure to put a little glue on every spot where the egg touches another egg.  Alternate colors. As you do this, the eggs become a solid ring and support each other.  Don't worry if there are a few holes and open spots, these can be covered later.  When you finish the bottom layer with two rows of eggs, place a few eggs as shown on top randomly pointing in different directions.  Leave an opening as shown of about 3 inches for the bow to be placed there.  

Place a drop of glue in a gap in the eggs, let it cool alittle and then use a pencil eraser or a end of a water color brush to push some easter grass into the hole.  Fill all holes this way.
Gluing Egg Wreath


Egg Wreath with grass
 Use the Floral wire to make a hanger for the wreath as follows:




Use your wired ribbon to make a bow. It should end up with the widest part being about 6  inches across.
 Add a separate length of ribbon before tightening the wire so you will have 2 streamers coming down from the ribbon.



Attach the bow to the wreath.












And you have a beautiful Easter Wreath!

You could even make more for your friends!






 This post has been shared with the following sites!
A Pinch of Joy 
Skip To My Lou 
The Recipe Critic 
Nap Time Creations 
Chef in Training 
Pint Sized Baker 
Turn it up Tuesdays! 
Kathe with an E 
Mamade Creations
Treasure Box Tuesday
The Shady Porch
Buns In My Oven
Kitchen Meets Girl
Epic Mommy Adventures 
Made in a Day 
Smart School House 
What's Cookin Love? 
Living Better Together 
The Country Cook 
Six Sisters Stuff 
Huckleberry Love 
This Momma's Meanderings
A Peek into My Paradise 
A to Zebra Celebrations 
Mandy's Recipe Box 

10 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT! I don't know why I get so excited over wreaths, but I absolutely love this! Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to make these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like it! It does turn out very cute! Please ask me if you have any questions and I will try to help asap!

      Delete
  2. very cute.. i had to pin... I hope once I start my wreath it looks as good as yours.. often times mine don't look as good as the picture.. sigh..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aimee! I am here to answer questions if you need me!

      Delete
  3. This is such a cute Easter wreath. I love that you used a simple piece of cardboard for the base. Visiting from Turn It Up Tuesday Linkup

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is such a unique and pretty wreath. I really like this idea. Thanks for sharing on MaMade Blog Hop. Have a wonderful healthy day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love how your wreath turned out great job

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is ADORABLE!! I love it, I have yet to make any wreaths, but it's something I definitely want to try sometime in the near future. Thanks so much for linking up at the MaMade Blog Hop! Don't forget to stop back and link up again next week and see if you've been featured!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic wreath! I love how you used cardboard instead of a wreath form- what a cheaper and great idea, I always have cardboard laying around, I might have to make one of these right away! Thank you so much for sharing
    Sheena @ http://thekeeperofcheerios.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! I can't wait to make one :)

    Amanda @ A Mother's Craftuition

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from you. Please feel free to ask questions or let me know what you liked. If you like the blog I would love to have you follow using the buttons above! Thanks for your visit!